When you first think of high-risk occupations, images of soldiers in war zones or Alaskan ice road truckers might pop into your mind. However, the health care field comes with its own range of daily hazards.
Whether you are employed by a hospital, outpatient care or a private medical practice, professionals have to avoid injuries incurred from treating and transporting patients, exposures to body fluids and illnesses, needle sticks and more. All while working long hours and handling demanding duties. But even in the most intense circumstances, working with Abbadabba’s means these professionals have one less thing to worry about – their feet.
Sure, we think a lot about keeping people healthy from the soles up. But we’re not alone. The Occupational & Health Administration has several standards for protective footwear in a health care environment. In addition to preventing slips, trips and falls, individuals need to wear closed toe shoes with strong support to avoid foot injuries due to falling or rolling objects, or items piercing the sole.
Footwear also needs to provide protection from potential needle sticks, splashing from blood or other potentially infectious materials. Finally, there’s the issue of comfort. Anyone spending long shifts on their feet requires maximum performance and support.
Just ask Camille Ghiraldi, R.N., who has been shopping at Abbadabba’s for over a decade. “As a nurse, I was amazed to see how wearing Dansko’s took the pressure off of my hips, knees and back while keeping my feet comfortable and protected,” she explained. “Abbadabba’s goes out of their way to help you buy the right shoe for your feet.”\r\n\r\nAbbadabba’s offers a number of protective, fashion-forward shoes that give health care workers the support they need. Popular brands with enclosed toes include Dansko , Alegria, Bireknstock, Sanita, Keen and Klogs.
Want more tips for finding the best shoes for your health care environment? Try these:
- Review your hospital and health care facility guidelines on protective footwear to ensure the brands you select are in compliance.
- Make sure you move around in the shoes, bending and lifting, to test how well they would perform with work tasks.
- Since feet often swell after being awake for a while, shop later in the day during times close to the end of your work shift.
We like to recognize the dedicated health care professionals who help heal us all on a daily basis.
In celebration of National Nurse’s Week and National Healthcare Workers Week during May, we went out into the community to give our thanks to Georgia area nurses for all that they do.
- We donated a pair of Alegria shoes to each of the 10 AJC Nursing Excellence Award Winners
- We donated 5 pairs of Dansko shoes to nurses at Dekalb Medical
- We offered a special discount to nurses at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta during Nurse’s Week
- We’d love to reward more nurses in our community. If your hospital or medical practice would like to offer a reward to your nurses, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.